If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Larry Alvey

Yesterday Terry and I went to her mother’s house which is now vacant. We had to move some things out, do some cleaning and weeding and try to make the house more saleable. I couldn’t help but think of Larry Alvey while I was doing it. Larry made sure that everything that could be done for his family was done before he left them. He wanted to make sure everything was in order. The last thing that was weighing on Larry’s mind was cleaning up a house that he and his wife Marilee had to dispose of. It bothered him that he was no longer able to do that. His friends organized a group that went and worked on the house for several days and on Tuesday the work was completed. And then Larry passed. Larry was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer in May of 2009. His battle was similar to mine, including SIR Spheres treatment. I couldn’t help but wonder again today why am I still here. I’m eight months beyond Larry and yesterday I was able to do physical work. I had to take many breaks, not being able to go more than about 20 minutes without resting. But that’s not bad considering. But why me? Larry was one of the finest men I ever “knew”. He was a captain for American Airlines, flying 777s. We was doing a job he loved. He raised good Christian children and put them all through college. He took care of his wife, making sure she will be ok financially. He not only practiced his religion, he lived it and shared it wherever he went. His writings in the blog he maintained with Marilee taught me something very important about God. I haven’t discussed it specifically with anyone yet because I don’t fully understand it. I had hoped to discuss it with him one day and learn more. So why me? Larry deserves to be here more than I do. On the other hand, Larry deserves Heaven more than I. Larry fought his battle with strength, dignity, love and faith right to the end. Larry or Marilee once commented that they were following me on this cancer journey. That was wrong. Larry was leading the whole time. I know he’ll continue leading me by his memory and his example. I think I may even hear from him now and then. Carry on Captain. -------------------------------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. Oh don't you wish that Larry or Travis or John could share with you and the world the simple formula for curing cancer (which surely they understand by now!) It must be something we're not supposed to know yet. Cancer is the means of drafting some of the best warriors into Heaven's army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jerry,

    Thank you for this beautiful tribute to Larry. He was and is an AMAZING man! We always enjoyed your sense of humor on the blog. Perhaps the company turned down his SIRS treatment too many times and the liver couldn't bounce back, but it was nothing that had God wringing his hands in despair. "Oh, if only AA would have been quicker, I could have saved him.' He was saved. Perfectly. I'm betting that you have some pains, some side effects, etc. Larry doesn't. He can now eat anything he wants...and take no pills!

    Jerry, he got his job done. His obit is in the Pantagraph.com What was there to finish in his life well lived? When he realized that his body was no longer cooperating and allowing even conversation, he pulled out the ejector handle and bailed out quicker than our heads could even conceive of it! He eased right into Heaven with first class seats: his family around, at home, faced toward the lake. He was cleared for take off.

    If you ever want to learn more about Heaven, just keep in mind that, if you saw or talked to one of us, you had seen or talked to both. He passed the torch to several people: Lindie, Landon, Matt, niece Kelley, and dear friend Ken Hisle, among others.

    My eyes cannot contain his reward...but I'll join hm before he blinks!

    All OUR Best,

    Marilee (and Larry, on an extended mission trip!)

    If you or anyone else has any

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry,
    Hang in there...you don't know me but I am a friend of John Hawker's. I know Tracy misses him so much and holds you as an inspiration for fighting so hard and winning small battles like you described today. Carry on...more people than you know are cheering for you.
    Niki Jensen, Idaho Falls ID

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jerry,

    What very nice words, I miss my Uncle Larry very much and he was a great man. Only the best things life has to offer (about enjoying and living life) come to mind when I think about him.

    You are all extremely courageous and blessed in my eyes and I can see how helpful you are to others who are diagnosed or have a loved one with this disease. Your desire to live and overcome are extremely inspiring. Thank you so much for having this for others and I wish you extended strength and comfort when needed.

    Best Wishes,

    Sean Damon Hoppe

    ReplyDelete