If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What I Don't Know; What I'm Learning; Medical Update

The last couple of days have been very heart warming. Niki Jensen, a friend of the late John Hawker, left a comment on my blog. I didn’t know she read the blog. She said “more people than you know are cheering for you.” This was confirmed by my son AJ’s girlfriend Lindsey who I found out walked in my honor at the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. I didn’t know she was doing that but when I found out I was deeply touched. The picture above is from that event. Thanks Linds. Niki's comment was further confirmed today. I was talking to my Aunt Barbara in Massachusetts. There is a retired priest who lives in the same community as she. On Monday she asked that priest to say a prayer for me. He told her that the next day, he would offer his daily Mass for me. So yesterday there was a Mass said for me that I didn't know about. It’s comforting to know that there are so many people supporting me, even when I don’t know it. Comments left by Tracy Hawker, Johns widow, and Angie Poll, Travis Poll’s sister-in-law, supported my belief that animals have a guaranteed place in heaven. Mandy Poll’s (Travis’s widow) mother Judy commented with an explanation of why it is natural to fear death even if we have faith in God and His eternal reward. All of these comments make so much sense to me that I have to accept them as truth. My learning continues. On Monday I received chemo treatment #35, the third FOLFOX treatment. Today I received the test results from the blood drawn that day which is reflecting two treatments. The way I received the results was unusual. As soon as I walked into the chemo lounge, Patrice, the nurse immediately came over to me with a copy of the report and a graph of my CEA count. I think she was excited to give it to me. The CEA count came down again, to 29.8, extending the good response we're getting from the FOLFOX. To make it even sweeter, I went through the last two weeks with almost no side effects other than some jaw pain and touch sensitivity to cold things. Both of those are common side effects of the Oxaliplatin. I still have very low energy and stamina but that has become a way of life. I can't ask for any more at this stage. So I carry on. Right now it's a little easier. --------------------------------

6 comments:

  1. Whoo-eee! Congratulations on the good reports! I like it!

    There are lots of people in Utah praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for FOLFOX!

    Jerry there are people in Texas praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I like the good news. Not only are people in states across the country pulling for you, but I know there is a league of angels praying as well. Remember, a lot of members from "the club no one wants to join" are all rooting for ya from up above.
    Tracy Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that even though you feel physically weak, you're determined to stay the course and "carry on." Ditto to what Tracy said...besides all the prayers, rosaries recited, and candles lit for your welfare, you have an army of the finest angels up there battling for you too. We'll keep hoping your markers remain on a steady decline and sending positive wishes your way Jerry.
    Angie Poll

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry, we're cheering with you in Illinois, too. WAHOO! Can you hear us? I am thrilled at your chemo numbers! Blessed are the feet of those who carry good news, Scripture says. No kidding!

    I believe that God has placed an honor for life inside us. We honor God when we fight to live. That's what He placed inside of us. He made us. He understands us.

    Larry didn't want to leave me. He fought with every ounce of strength he had. However, God called him in from play, though his playmates (me and the 'kids') wanted him to stay further. However, God knew what was best for Larry. Did you know that Larry's cancer isn't dormant: IT'S DEAD! The only thing that didn't die is Larry! I feel that very clearly. God provided for him and He is providing for me.

    I want you to know, Jerry, that Larry went very peacefully. He just got more and more tired until he PASSED, not died. I never got that term before now! That's just what he did. He crossed over. Our children have commented that they now don't fear death, that, having their dad up there, they will be excited to "come Home." That's a blessing, a very cool thing.

    Jerry, you won't go one day before you're supposed to. Not a day. You carry on, dear friend. We all run the race we're given. I hope you go far! Carry on, indeed!

    Lovingly,

    Marilee Alvey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending prayers from New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete