If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hanging On By A String

Over the last few days I got PET scan results and blood test results. None of it is good. The scan showed the tumor in my liver has gotten larger and there are several new ones. The same is true for my lungs. The blood test showed my CEA count increasing again. It’s now at 289.5. None of this was unexpected. We knew the recent chemo regimen wasn’t working. Dr. George, who up to this point has never said anything negative, was as negative as I think she’s capable of. She said there will be a point when I have to decide if there is any point to enduring more chemo and if it makes more sense to switch to “comfort care”. I think I know her well enough to know she’s telling me that point is rapidly approaching. She also said frankly “I’m out of options”. Not me! I wrote earlier that I was going to talk to Dr. George about some regimens I had read about which I did last week. Between that conversation and this week’s she agreed to try carboplatin and paclitaxel. I think at this point she would agree to anything I wanted because she’s got nothing better. I’d ask for rum and coke but I don’t drink, so maybe I’ll ask for liquefied cake and ice cream. I only got the paclitaxel on Monday. There was concern about my kidney function so Dr. George wanted to see the blood test results before giving me the carboplatin. Today the results showed the kidney was OK so I got the carbo. Monday I’ll get a second round of each at the same time. Although I’ve never had these exact two chemo agents before I have had their cousins so there’s probably not too much hope. But it’s worth a try to buy some more time. I also have another regimen lined up if this doesn’t work. My only hope now is for one of these regimens to kick in and knock these tumors down for a while. I’m hanging on by a string now. The fluid is back in my abdomen. Judging by the size of my belly there’s more than ever but it is not yet uncomfortable enough for me to go for the paracentesis. Carry on. ---------------------------------------------

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jerry! My computer had a bit of a hiccup a while back and it stopped uploading your blog updates! I finally checked your site only to find out I was WAAY behind on the latest news.

    Glad to hear that you are fighting and going forward. I love reading your courage through all of this, and I continue to pray for you and Terry. You have been a real blessing in my life and I am honored to know you and pray for you.

    Lindie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration Jerry! Glad to see you are still fighting! Always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Rolinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry,
    You keep hanging in there - you have a lot of support and prayers behind you! I am praying that this chemo will put things back on the right track. Positive attitude is a big part of the battle.
    Hugs & Prayers,
    ~Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry, my mum was on a Carboplatin/Xeloda combination from October 2009 to December 2009.She had a good response & side effects were minimal,surviving another 10 months. Hope this info is of some use Good luck Jerry
    James UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to be your own advocate, Jerry. You never know what is out there, until you search for it. Prayers, always.

    XOXO
    Aunt Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you fight! It's inspiring! I hope those drugs work and buy you time. I wish John had been into investigating treatments instead of being passive and just letting it happen. It's awesome that you advocate for your self.
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep fighting... keep trying EVERYTHING... please.

    ReplyDelete