If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rolinda

More than a year ago I received an email from Rolinda. She told me of her father Richard Martin who had died from esophageal cancer on the very day I was getting the ultrasound scan that led to my diagnosis. Since then I’ve felt a connection to Richard. It’s as if he handed off the baton to me and now I must continue the battle. Today is the second anniversary of Richard’s death. But for me, today is about Rolinda. Rolinda is Richard’s legacy. She has carried on his battle by supporting others. Rolinda follows my journey and periodically I’ll receive an email from her that usually expresses support or encouragement. Occasionally she’ll tell me what’s going on in her life or something funny that happened to her. I always enjoy hearing from her. Richard would be pleased and proud to know that his daughter is honoring him by remembering what he went through and trying to ease that burden for someone else. Actually, I believe he does know. I have felt Richard’s presence in my life and I’m sure Rolinda does too. I hope she feels it in a very strong, positive way today. Thank you Rolinda. Thank you Richard. --------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Jerry!

    Rolinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry, once again I am touched by your kind and caring spirit. You reach out to others, to encourage them in such a special way. You pay tribute to others and trudge forward in your journey with great insight and humor. They say that some people are so heavenly minded that they're no earthly good. Well, Jerry, you've done both!

    I know that you are a tonic to all who read your blog. I pray, selfishly, perhaps, that you will stay around for a very long time. With your attitude and spunk, you're needed around here!

    I don't even know Rolinda but even I am honored as you have recognized her for honor. I'm proud of you, too, Rolinda. Thank you from all of us esophageal cancer families!

    Sincerely,

    Marilee Alvey

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, Jerry, I'm going to try to attach my profile picture of me in Disneyworld, joyfully riding on what I call the "Marilee-go Round" a month after Larry's passing. How can I be so happy? Because Larry didn't die. He just shed that weak body that was letting him down. He slipped out of it like an old, worn out coat and slipped into something more comfortable, his resurrection body! I feel his presence, his life force continuing, thanks to Jesus who came to his rescue!

    Larry is not in my rear view mirror where images are distorted and even have blind spots. I look back and, right now, I remember the year of struggle. If I look ahead, out of the front windshield, I see things much more clearly. Larry used to tell me that he could see much better out of the 777 cockpit than I could out of the side windows! Well, Larry's not in my past. He's in my future! I anticipate a great reunion, no longer an awkward first date but thrilling excitement. His eyes will sparkle, his grin will light up the place, and what will he say? "I see you've been able to keep the merrily in Marilee Joyce!" That was his request to the kids before he died. He saw that as one of his missions on Earth.

    As you can see in the photo, God is keeping me joyful, just like I asked him too!

    Marilee Alvey

    Marilee Alvey

    ReplyDelete