If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

ATTACK!!!!

There are several assaults underway in this battle I’m fighting. First, beginning last Friday, an attack was begun on my bucket list. My daughter Heather took a big step towards getting the job she wants. She’s not there yet so I can’t count it as a bucket list wish achieved but she has been working hard and I know she will get there. She certainly deserves it. On Sunday the bucket list attack heated up. My mother and I, along with her companion Paul, planted marigolds. This was the first of my bucket list wishes to be fulfilled. Click on “My Bucket List” on the right to see a picture. Another assault underway is the chemo’s attack on me. Each treatment gets tougher in terms of fatigue and weakness. It hits me sooner and lasts longer. While getting the last three treatments I was hit by a wave of nausea. Patrice, my onco nurse, gave me something for it and it passed each time but this is a new development. During the most recent treatment this past Monday, my fourteenth, I developed a rash or perhaps hives. Patrice threw some Benadryl into my cocktail and it went away but this was something new. I am starting to feel indications of neuropathy in my extremities. It feels like the chemo is slowly trying to get me to give up. I’m not ready to give up. I’m on a reconnaissance mission. I got the PET scan results on Monday and it showed improvement. I can’t give many details because I don’t fully understand it but Doctor George confirmed that there was improvement. My liver function is still good. Now I know that my disease was diagnosed at a late stage and that usually leaves very few options. But I have read a lot on the internet and I have found a few cases similar to mine where other approaches have been tried in addition to systemic chemo. I feel that this recent improvement may be my opportunity to try something new so I have requested an appointment at the Cancer Institute of New Jersey, a part of the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School for another opinion. Perhaps nothing will come of it but if this is in fact an opportunity I can’t let it pass. Enough defense. I think some offense may be in order. This disease has been attacking me long enough. I’m going to try to attack it now. ----------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment