If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Med Stuff

Last week I had chemo treatment number forty-two. The routine blood test was done and the results showed that my CEA count shot way up to 149 from 83.3 three weeks earlier. Not good. Dr. George said she wanted to see the results after three treatments of this regimen before making any changes. To make matters worse, the liver enzyme counts are creeping higher as well as one of the bilirubin readings. I think it will be my liver that ultimately kills me. From what I’ve read, death caused by liver failure is painless. Another example of how God has been watching over me throughout this ordeal. Throughout last week the ascites (fluid in the abdomen) was growing increasingly more uncomfortable. I was having difficulty eating which I attributed to pressure on my stomach. I was having intestinal discomfort which I thought might be from pressure on the intestines. I started having shortness of breath which was from pressure on my diaphragm although before I knew that I was afraid the tumor in my lung was getting worse. My legs were getting very weak which unbeknownst to me was also a symptom. I was feeling so bad I thought I was going to die and if I wasn’t I almost wished I would. It all culminated this past Monday when I had a sandwich and could eat nothing else all day. It was as if my stomach was forcing it back up. I decided to call Dr. George and ask her to arrange for paracentesis, the draining of the fluid. To my surprise, she was able to set it up for the very next morning. So Terry and I went to the hospital on Tuesday. After getting as far as laying on the table and having the preliminary ultrasound pictures taken, the technician asked me if I had a blood coagulation test done. Excuse me? Nobody had told me I needed a blood test. She asked if I had any blood tests recently and I told her I did last week. She asked if that included a coagulation test to which I responded I don’t know but I don’t think so. She said that if it didn’t we would have to reschedule the procedure. I asked her if there was some way we could do the test right there in the hospital. Either she is a very kind person or I am very charming because she called Dr. George and found out my blood was not tested for coagulation. She got Dr. George to fax over a prescription for the test, set it up with their lab and after waiting about two hours we were in business. Another God flyby. The procedure was interesting and only slightly uncomfortable. They put a catheter in the side of my stomach and let the fluid drain for about 20 minutes. Dr. George had ordered that 3-4 liters be drained. I asked the radiologist why they drain a specified amount rather than all of it. He explained that the fluid puts pressure on the blood vessels which constricts the flow of blood to the legs. Ah, that’s why my legs are weak. In order to compensate for the pressure on the vessels the body increases blood pressure. As the fluid is removed the blood pressure drops. If they took out all the fluid the blood pressure may drop seriously low. So they ended up taking 4 liters. The technician told me that equated to eight pounds. The fluid was sent out for testing. The results were that they could not find any malignancies which I suppose is good but I really don’t know how significant that is. Since the procedure I don’t have shortness of breath, I can eat and strength has returned in my legs. I’m glad I had it done. It may have to be done again depending on how quickly the fluid is accumulating but for now I’m much more comfortable. Next week I’ll have another MUGA test to be sure the chemo is not damaging my heart. I had a very nice lunch yesterday with my sister and bother in law. Tonight Terry and I will have dinner with my daughter and son and their significant others. Life is good. Carry on. ---------------------------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. Your a brave mother trucker Jerry. That stuff all sounds horrid. I have fluid in my abdomen too. Only mine is beer and it goes away on it's own.

    You have a good weekend and I'm glad the pressure of fluid is off you for now.

    Tracy Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing man Jerry, to be able to make the statement, Life is good.

    Rolinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are feeling a little better. Keep fighting the fight, and I will continue to send up prayers. :) I think of you often and keep hoping for a post that says: "Cancer Free".

    ~Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read this aloud to Steve. We are amazed at 4 liters but definitely think you have angels from above who are guiding your angels here on earth. At the same time, we're glad you haven't got your wings yet.
    I smiled at the updated list (which I can't believe you did while feeling crappy.) The special note is prompting me to throw up a few more for ya. I think you and your comfort are worth it. To follow Tracy's awesome assessment,keep on truckin' Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to tell you that we are still praying for you... every day!

    ReplyDelete