If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Terry Knows Best

I started to feel a little better Sunday night and it continued yesterday. I was beginning to think that maybe my discomfort was being caused more by the chemo than the ascites and now the chemo was wearing off. But Terry urged me to set up the paracentesis pointing out that Christmas was coming and I would not want it to get worse and not be able to have it done. Boy was she right! Yesterday I got the paracentesis scheduled for today. As the day went on yesterday I began to feel the effects of the fluid more and more but it was manifesting itself as leg pain and shortness of breath rather than the gastric discomfort I felt over the weekend. Today the procedure was done and they removed 5 liters of fluid, one more than three weeks ago. And now I feel great. It's amazing what a difference it makes. Thanks Trrrr. I'm hoping the test results again show no malignancies in the fluid. I have a theory that the chemo agent epirubicin, perhaps in conjunction with the herceptin which we discontinued, is causing my heart not to pump propery. That's really not theoretical becuase we know that from the MUGA test. The theoretical part is that it is my heart not pumping correctly that may be causing the ascites. So I'm going to schedule an appointment with Dr. George to suggest we discontinue the Epirubicin now. CEA counts show it's not working anyway. There are two more chemo regimens I'm familiar with we haven't tried yet and I'd like to give her time to consider them and set them up. And then maybe we can get the ascites to stop. The PET scan next week will come at a perfect time for a baseline if we make a change. Maybe this is all wishful thinking but you gotta have hope. And you gotta carry on. --------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Terry does know best. I'm glad you are feeling better just in time for Christmas.
    I'm taking a couple days off from work and going to a cabin I rented In Island Park for a couple of days. I'll check in on ya next week. You and Terry have a wonderful holiday.
    I love you!
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gots to carry on Jerry. So glad you have a good wife who knows what you need...that's what love is for. Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound advice from terry. Have a wonderful Xmas holidays Jerry. Xmas is a good time for wishful thinking so dont give up hope.
    All the best to Tracy Hawker& family, I followed her husbands journey as well as Jerry's as my mum was suffering same illness. I got alot of strength from jerry & Johns bravery
    Jim humble follower England

    ReplyDelete