If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tired, Inspired

This disease seems to either kill you fairly quickly or wear you down little by little. It’s beginning to wear me down. When I went for my forty-third chemo treatment and the accompanying blood test this week several things were revealed. First, Dr. George informed me that the MUGA test I had last week showed that there has been some damage to my heart. It is reversible, but only upon stopping the agent that is causing it. So Dr. George cut out the Herceptin, one of two drugs I’m currently taking that causes the damage. Looks like another example of “if the disease doesn’t get you the treatment will”. The blood test showed that my CEA count continues to rise. It’s now at 202.9 compared to 149 three weeks earlier. Apparently this chemo regimen isn’t working. Dr. George ordered another PET scan. I think she knows the treatment is not working and would have changed it by now if she had another idea. We’re running out of options. Since I had the paracentesis to drain the abdominal fluid less than three weeks ago I have felt that the fluid is returning. Over the last two days it has really hit hard. It has become extremely uncomfortable and it’s difficult to eat. I think I need to have the procedure done again. So now, instead of having two free weeks between treatments I’ll probably have paracentesis one of the weeks and a PET scan the other. I’m getting very frustrated and tired of all the doctors, hospitals, procedures and discomfort. I know this is all a bummer and frankly I had been feeling rather depressed. But As I sat down to write this blog entry I opened an email I just received from Diana. Her husband Frank was diagnosed in May 2009. Diana gave me a brief history of all they’ve been through and how hard Frank is fighting. Their story, along with a couple of well timed hugs from Trrrr, has inspired me. I’m ready to carry on. -------------------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. all my prayers are with you, hang in there!!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please carry on Jerry... I know how hard and long this journey is... but you can do it.

    I wish I could give you a cure for Christmas... I wish I could make Robbie well too.

    It does wear you down... but we can't let it KEEP us down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always thinking about you Jerry.
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "carry on". I wish you and Terry peace for Christmas. Our Father in Heaven is in charge, and he loves you. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete