If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I'm A Reject

I was rejected for chemo treatment yesterday because despite three days of self injection with neupogen, my white blood count was too low. In fact it doesn’t get lower. It was zero. That makes me very susceptible to infection so please, not matter where you are, don’t sneeze or cough if you are facing New Jersey.

I’m disappointed because I really tried to get myself to the point where I could get normal treatment. But Dr. George explained that the cumulative effect of more than two years of chemo has compromised the ability of my bone marrow to produce the white cells. She was also hinting that I should be talking “things” over with Terry and think about taking a nice trip or otherwise enjoying life. It’s not a good sign when the Chemo Kaiser is leaning towards no more chemo.

My plan now is to inject myself over five days with neupogen and try again next week. I want to see if this chemo cocktail gets any good response. I also believe that God has guided me throughout this and the setback may just be His way of saying that less intensive treatment is the way to go now.

Carry On.

--------------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. At least you're a funny reject. I think it's time for me to submit another plea to the big guns for ya. Thinking of you Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are blood transfusions an option?

    Do you think someone somewhere is working on this technique: taking some healthly bone marrow before chemo, extracting the pluripotent stem cells, and stimulating them in the lab to produce white cells and platelets for you when you need them? I'm sure the technology is out there. Somebody needs to develop this! While you're at it, figure out how to mass produce natural killer cells and antibodies that will seek out and kill all cancer cells. Just a small request.
    J. Keime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wash your hands, don't pick your nose or stick your finger in your eye till those blood counts get back up there! I know hard not to pick your nose, but you can do it!!! LOL!

    Praying for no germs Jerry.

    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jer -- I'm using Purell on the keyboard before typing this!

    Any chance of just getting some donated white cells? Or even a pint or so of whole blood, that has the white cells still in it?

    If not, then praying the neupogen kicks in for you!

    Aunt Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I check on you often.
    I am pulling for you !!!

    Colleen in Canada

    ReplyDelete