If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Let's Continue

Last week was not good but it was salvaged somewhat on Friday when Larry Alvey finally got approval for the SIR Spheres. Amazingly, he had the mapping done on Tuesday and then both sides of his liver were radiated on Wednesday. So a process that stretched out almost two months for me was completed in 5 days for him. They must be either way behind us or way ahead of us out there in Denver. Since he had it done at one of the first places in this country to do SIR Spheres by one of the pioneer doctors I'm guessing they're way ahead of us. From now on I'll get all my SIR Spheres in Denver. I'm in kind of a mental holding pattern now. The news about John and Travis has numbed me. I feel like I don't want to even think about cancer, treatments or test results. On Tuesday I completed my 31st chemo treatment but chemo treatments seem to be very routine now, part of life. I am enjoying the great weather, working in the yard, spending time with family and just living. Terry's been having a problem with a tooth she had some work done on. I've been more worried about that than I am about this other garbage. I think that's an indication of how I've suppressed thoughts of cancer. So I'm going to continue in my little world of "fugettaboutit". I'm going to just live for a while. Carry on. -------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. I received the special honory "membership" card from you and your wife. It warmed my heart and will forever preside in my bible. That was the most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for John. I love you both. I thank you for the Peretual Mass Association membership. It makes me feel at peace more then ever.
    T. Hawker
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry, I like your attitude. I, too, have been convicted that we just need to fugettaboutit and just live the life we've been given. We spent the past year worrying which dimmed our days somewhat! Although during that year we had two cruises, an all inclusive weekend, and a week long vacation in highrise condos with the kids, there were some ordinary days filled with anxiety. We are aiming toward a cruise on July 10th. We return to Denver tomorrow and will make our decision after we talk with our doctor.

    Denver is WAY ahead. The only reason we went there in the beginning was that they were the only ones we figured we could find who wouldn't tell us it was hopeless....because they'd healed Richard Dickerman. He takes away all excuses...and, at 75, is still going strong! God led us to Dr. Nutting. We met him, accidentally, at the Liver Symposium in Ft. Worth Texas that we, accidentally, attended, detouring from our financial appointment in Dallas just to meet Richard Dickerman. In any case, we thought we had it all planned out when we met Dr. Nutting so we thanked him for his offer to look at Larry's stuff but we didn't dream we'd take him up on it. We were going to Richard's doctors! When we got to Denver, we had dinner with our friends who'd moved there fifteen months before. She hadn't retired from Cardiac nursing. She'd moved over to work in her brother-in-law's office....the only private practice oncologist in Colorado! We went to see him to appease our friends. We walked into the office to check in and were told that this doctor had set up an appointment with Dr. Nutting. Dr. Nutting, we replied, we just met him last weekend in Fort Worth, Texas! When we walked into his office, he said, 'That didn't take long. This must be a God thing!"

    We waited so long for our insurance, enduring endless turndowns, so we were stunned when we got in the next Tuesday after hearing on Friday! I don't know why we're even surprised, anymore! God has been leading us forward, just as he did the Israelites, though we're just as blind as they were about our destination! Our SIR spheres rep put in a good word for us, we found out later, telling Dr. Nutting we'd waited long enough.

    We were so pleased that Dr. Nutting prayed with us before the procedure. He's done over 600 of those procedures. Larry only had to lie still for two hours. No one had to put pressure on his femoral artery entry spot: they had a new Star device that worked like a drawstring purse, drawing the skin up together and sealing it. Larry had no pain during the procedure at all. Keep in mind, though, that he had to wait two months on the insurance okay!

    Jerry, you inspire us. We enjoy your transparency and your humor! We are following you and always keep an eye on you, not just your progress or lack thereof, but your mental attitude, as well, riding this roller coaster called cancer.

    Blessings!

    Larry & Marilee Alvey

    ReplyDelete