If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Monday, April 13, 2009

THE ACORN DOES FALL FAR FROM THE TREE......AND THE TREE

My daughter Heather just secured a volunteer position. She will spend a week this summer as an artistic therapist/counselor at a place called Happiness is Camping, a camp for children with cancer. She’ll be giving up a week of her vacation time to help children who are facing this monster. You might think that Heather is doing this because of my situation but this is not the case. Long before I was diagnosed she felt a calling to work with children afflicted with this disease. She has been a crusader for other cancer causes as well including walkathons for the American Cancer Society and volunteering as a “chemo angel”. She has done these things because of the goodness that is in her heart. She is a better person than I am. She is the acorn that has fallen far from the tree. Thank you Heather for all you do to help fight my battle and the war against cancer. Speaking of trees, on Saturday Terry came to me and asked “have you seen the tree?” I knew immediately which tree she was referring to. Last summer she and I planted a cherry tree to replace some shrubbery we dug up. “Is it blooming?” I asked. I was practically out the door as she responded yes. Sure enough, the pinkish-white flowers were adorning this scrawny little mass of twigs. It immediately hit me as a symbol of hope. It is a sign of Spring, which leads to the warm weather I’ve been waiting for. It survived the winter, as did I. Click here to see the acorn and the tree Last week I had my 12th treatment. I can definitely feel the cumulative affects, mostly a little more fatigue and weakness each time. But that's a small price to pay. Spring is here. Life is good. Cancer sucks. Carry on. -----------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment