If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's Official

Yesterday I saw Dr. George and told her my thoughts about stopping chemo. She was in complete agreement. When the Chemo Kaiser says no more chemo you know it’s time to stop. I had made up my mind last week but didn’t see her until this week.

I asked Dr. George how much time I could expect, a question she doesn’t like to answer. But I pressed her. She said that once people stop chemo it’s usually six to twelve months and right now my liver and kidneys are functioning adequately so that’s a reasonable expectation. That’s actually more time than I thought so it was encouraging. That much time may allow me to make a trip to Arizona and/or Florida. I plan to spend a day fishing with my brother. I haven’t gone fishing for a long time and to do it with him will be fantastic. And it was his idea! And we cannot overlook the fact that six months gives me another summer, my favorite time of year. Soaking in the sun is likely to buy me even more time. Most people don’t know it but I run on solar energy.

I go for paracentesis again tomorrow. Depending on how much fluid they get I’ll be making a decision about the implanted catheter.

Carry on.

----------------------------------------------------

8 comments:

  1. Such a hard decision to make...

    I hope you have the most fantastic 12 months of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry I don't how you've done it and how you continue to do it. When can I come see you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bud...we gonna try for breakfast on Saturday?
    Give me a call

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I just found your blog and read this March 24 entry. The last few years I have been struggling with depression and wondering "what's it all about?" and is life worth living - your blog was a wake up call. I need to reengage in life and all the good instead of focusing on all the doom and gloom around us. I love how you end your blog - carry on - because it reminded me that we all have stuff to carry and we just need to keep moving forward regardless of the load. Thank you. You changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And by the way - as depressed as I have been and ready to end it all - I think you could count me as the life you saved on your bucket list.

    Also- I know this is alot to ask - but if you get to heaven and can help me as a guardian angel I would love to have you as mine. My online name is Kellieb20050- I think angels know me - they have been keeping me safe for a long time. Would love to get some million dollar lottery numbers or other financial and health blessing - if you can swing it! LOL
    You really did save my life today. I am sure you have saved many others who are too shy to respond. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jer, you are awesome : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear friends 49 yr old husband was told last week he had stage IV esophogeal cancer. They are going to our local cancer center Wednesday to discuss treatment options. We know its in the liver but don't know if its spread anywhere else. I was hoping your bkog had some miracle ending that would give them hope. Maybe the cancer didn't go away but your story is full of hope and finding peace. I believe they are too early in this process to read your words. They still believe a miracle will save him. Maybe God has a spare one and is willing to send it their way. Thank you for your blog and your honesty. As they go deeper into this process I will share your story. May God bless your family and you. When you get to heaven look for my sister who died in 2002 after a 27 yr battle with kidney disease. She was 32. Give her a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jerry,
    I check your blog a lot. I was the woman who wrote you from Canada about her bro in law (who is ok and holding).
    As someone who is new to this cancer thing...I must tell you, you have really made me think twice about how I think of it, and choose to live my life.

    Live in the now. That is what I read in your words...and the greatest gift you could give to people. I think that is why I continue to return to your blog.

    You are inspiring despite your battle.

    Carry on Jerry.

    ReplyDelete