If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

It Should Be Me

Did you ever tell a loved one who was sick or injured that you wish you could take some of the pain, that you wish it was you instead of them? My mother has said that to me. And now she has actually done it. Last week the ulcer that led to the discovery of her lymphoma perforated. She was rushed into emergency surgery and they removed two thirds of he stomach. She is now in the midst of a difficult recovery. This is very similar to the surgery many people with esophageal cancer have to endure. I did not. It’s difficult to watch her suffer and I wish I could take some of her pain.

I had a paracentesis treatment on Monday and chemo on Tuesday. The fluid is back already and I’m very uncomfortable. But I’ll carry on.

-------------------------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. Sending extra prayers up for your Mom, and you too Jerry.

    Rolinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jerry,
    I pray things get better for you and your Mom. As a parent we always want to take the pain from our children and bear it ourselves. Though I felt myself wishing I could take my Mom's pain and discomfort too...God had other plans. You and your family are always in my thoughts - may you have a turn around and nothing but good news and medical miracles.
    ~Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you and your mom have to go through all this. I hope she has a smooth recovery and that you'll both have some good days ahead.
    J. Keime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your mom Jerry... that is a VERY tough surgery to have. Robbie is STILL recovering from having his stomach removed. I hope she has a quicker recovery.

    I hope you feel better somehow too.

    ReplyDelete