If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

This is How It Should Be

My EC comrades who have gone before me taught me many things about life and about handling this disease. They also taught me about dying.

Here are some brief accounts of their passings, taken from their wives’ blogs.

John Hawker:

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:14 AM, CDT

 
Today at 3:55 am, our dear John...beloved son, husband, step-dad, brother, uncle, cousin, nephew, and friend...was released from his pain and passed into heaven.
Angels everywhere will turn their heads and watch the arrival of their new spirit, we know they have waited for him. They will feel our tears and know how much John is loved and how we all will miss him.

 
Travis Poll:

Our prayers were answered and T passed peacefully today, the day before his 36th birthday, with me tucked in by him in the bed, my head on his shoulder and my hand holding his hand.

The following is from an email sent to me by Marilee Alvey. She gave me permission to share it.

Larry Alvey:

On July 27, my niece (more like a daughter to me) came over to see Larry. My daughter, Lindie, was there with me. Larry chose to go when the three of us were together. It was a brilliant decision. They've been like my angels, one on either side of me! Well, I went a few steps out to the deck to show my niece my deck. She'd never been over to our new place. That's when my daughter came out and said Larry's breathing was irregular. She was a bit distressed. I forgot that she'd never seen anyone die. All she knew is that breathing is good. Not breathing is bad. I went right in, took Larry's hand in mine and told him in a calm voice. "Larry, I'm right here. I told you I was going to put your hand in Jesus' hand, and that's exactly what I'm going to do." Our daughter held Larry's other hand. My niece stood patting his shoulder. He went. I put my hand on his heart and told him, "I'll be right here." His final flight was over. He passed over into the most beautiful place ever! Imagine his lungs breathing clear, clean, unpolluted celestial air for the first time. Imagine his feet and hands regaining their feeling! Imagine him running once again! No soreness. No fatigue! Now, Larry looks like he's about 20-30 years old! I believe he's flying!

I know that these friends are waiting for me along with Richard Martin and Travis Beus. I’m looking forward to meeting them.

We will carry on together.

-----------------------------


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

13 comments:

  1. I wish you smooth sailing!
    J Keime

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly amazing. Peace and love to you and yours.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for comfort and peace for you Jerry.

    Rolinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly an inspiration to all. You touched more lives than you would ever, EVER know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry-
    I think about you a lot. I'm hoping you and your family are able to feel peace and comfort at this time. Know that complete strangers are thinking about you and praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you don't mind if I share the words of a favorite old hymn:

    Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
    With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
    Leave to thy God to order and provide;
    In every change he faithful will remain.
    Be still my soul: Thy best, thy heavenly Friend
    Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

    Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
    To guide the future as he has the past.
    Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
    All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
    Be still,my soul:The waves and winds still know
    His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

    Be still, my soul: The hour is hastening on
    When we shall be forever with the Lord,
    When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
    Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
    Be still,my soul:When change and tears are
    past,
    All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

    Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerry, when you see the gang, be sure to tell John how much I love him! I tell him all the time myself, but I like the idea of making sure he knows by you telling him too.
    I'm praying hard for ya Jerry. I love you!
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no doubt that He will raise you up on eagle's wings, and beneath you we will be, always loving you .......till we meet again

    xoxox
    D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have touched our lives, Jerry, and I continue to pray for you during this transition. Even though we have never met, you have been and continue to be a wonderful friend to my family. I wish you as many special moments as you can squeeze in and I am so thankful for you!

    Your tribute to my dad, and to other EC heroes is so touching! My mom copied your post and forwarded it to a number of friends of the family. We are big fans of you, Jerry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart aches for your family... I know YOU will be BETTER than fine... you will be HEALED. I know this Jerry.

    Thank you for sharing your journey with us... it has made it easier for me personally... having a sense of what is to come for Robbie. Part of the pain a caregiver feels is the shock of seeing their loved on so ill. Knowing what is coming has taken a little of the shock away and made it easier for me to be calm and strong for Robbie. Thank you for that.

    Jerry we've never met... but you've touched my life... in a very good way. Thank you so much for sharing yourself.
    ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peace be with you. I am praying for you even while knowing, with all my heart, that you'll be taken care of on both sides. I'll also pray for your family...Oscar included, of course. You are something special Jerry.

    Angie Poll

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is with great saddness I report Harmon Killebrew just announced he no longer will fight his esophageal cancer. The 74 year Hall of Fame baseball great, now has great company with our great "Jerry". Killebrew said " I look forward to spending my final days in hospice care with comfort and peace and with Nita his wife. Jerry, why don't you and Harmon give us afew extra innings to share with you? Thanks and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Know how much we love you! You are such a great friend. Watching you fight this battle with such avengence is something we have all learned from. You have saved many people from this disease, we have gotten so many other friends to have an endoscopy done, some have been fine others have gerd and are being watched, Thankyou from all of them and us! We so respect your outlook about God and haven been given time to change things in your life,we should all take puuse and do the same, you have always been a good man Jerry, we will always remember that please Laugh with us when we think of you and Bingo and "Head dresses" and Dances and Toilet tissue trails and Trivial Persuit and fishing trips and pool parties and Jersey and Georgia and St Patricks Day and cases of soda in the mini van and the Laughter and the hugs and the Love.......

    ReplyDelete