If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Why Am I Here? Where Am I Going? How Do I Get There?

Everybody wants to go to heaven. But nobody wants to die. Well then how do you get there? Unfortunately we have to die to get to heaven. I am in the process of accepting that. I’m still having trouble with it but I’m getting there. Unless you are killed suddenly and unexpectedly, I think dying is a process. Even people who die suddenly probably go through the process. It’s just not as obvious. I think that when that process is complete, it’s time to go. I think that the process consists primarily of achieving levels of understanding, loving, accepting, forgiving, and being at peace with yourself and your God. It has been said that before you die your life flashes before you. Recently I transferred all of the family videos I had on VHS tapes onto DVDs and gave them to my children. In the process I viewed all of those tapes. This wasn’t exactly a flash but I certainly relived those times in my life. It wasn’t simply seeing those times again. It was feeling those feelings again, thinking about how the children have grown and matured, thinking about what I have learned since then. I think that learning is an important part of the dying process. I believe I have learned a lot recently. I have a better understanding of why some things happen in life. I think I have more tolerance for people than I had before, more compassion. I see animals differently now. I always loved animals but now I see them more as creatures of God. It’s weird, but I seem to feel them as much as see them. I have heard people say that animals are “lesser” beings than humans. They lack free will and therefore they cannot make choices so they cannot go to heaven. I don’t agree. I think animals are automatically going to heaven. I have grown spiritually. I pray more than I used to but I also talk to God. And now I pray and talk to Jesus and Mary which I never did before. I have come to think that just as important as talking to God is listening to Him. But that’s much more difficult. When you think about all of the things that happen to us and all the things that happen around us, it’s not easy to understand what God is saying to us. I’m not a good listener. But I’m learning. I’ve been trying to understand what God is telling me by allowing me to outlive my prognosis. There’s a reason I’m still here but I don’t know what it is. I think I’ll be here long enough to walk my daughter down the aisle in August but that’s not why God has left me here. That’s a gift he’s giving me along the way. I would love it if the reason I’m here is to save a life. But I know I don’t get to pick the reason. I have to keep listening and try to hear His message. When I was first diagnosed Terry and I made sure some financial things were in order. I tried to teach her about some household things that she was not familiar with, things that I always took care of. I think she’s forgotten much of what I told her. It’s been almost two years. Lately we’ve been thinking more along the lines of selling the house and downsizing. That will make it easier for her when I go. That’s one of the advantages of knowing you don’t have too much longer, an opportunity to plan. I believe in God and I believe in Heaven. I believe that there is an eternal reward for us when we die. But if that’s true, if I truly believe, I should be eager to go whenever my time comes. I’m willing to accept it but I’m not eager. Maybe my faith is not strong enough yet. So I’ll just continue living as long as God let’s me, trying to learn along the way. I’ll continue the process. But maybe I’ll be a little bit of a jerk now and then so I don’t get there too quickly. Carry on. ----------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. I believe, too. More than ever now. To be fair, I don't think you have to be eager, and you definitely don't have to be perfect. I think you are on the right track to finding peace about it and that will make all of the difference to you and to your loved ones when the time comes. I'm even going to say that it can be a very spiritual and beautiful experience.

    The day before T died he told me that he was at peace with death and that he was looking foward to seeing his mother again. I told him that when he saw her beckoning to him, that he should just go. That's what he did.

    I think of you often. I know how hard it is to live with the fight and the fear and balancing everything else. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry! At least you accept it which helps everyone in the future. John told everyone that he was going back to work two weeks before he died. He never believed he was going to die. It was hard.
    I think that we help people more then we know while we are alive. It's like that movie The Butterfly Effect. Every little thing a person does changes the course of the future but they don't realize it. You may have already saved many lives. You could have made a small comment to someone in the course of your life that kept them from suicide.
    I also think animals go to heaven, especially after reading The Message by Lance Richardson who had a near death experience. While he was there he saw animals who would send good vibes and you could pet them. Even lions and tigers. I know our dogs will be there. How could it be heaven without animals?
    Not one of us really want to die no matter how much faith we have. It is scary. It is the unknown. Even with all teh faith in the world, you don't really know what to expect. But there is no getting out of this alive for any of us. Some of us just get an idea of when it might happen. The rest of us get a surprise. I hope I get a surprise. I'm hoping for a fast massive heart attack.
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been listening to a talk on CD called "What's On the Other Side" by Brent L. Top. I don't remember who he was quoting, but he said that God puts the fear of death in us so that we will cling to life long enough to accomplish what we were sent here to do. Without that fear, we would all want to go to heaven too soon! He talks about how contemplating death and preparing for it make life so much sweeter - as you have expressed in your blog. What we call death is really the doorway into the next life. We'll have joyful work to do, and will still love and help the people we love and help here on earth. I love that thought - that Travis will be able to guide and help Mandy and the kids from Heaven in ways that he wouldn't have been able to on earth.

    My sister, whose husband died suddenly of a heart attack last fall, calls death "the next Great Adventure".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry, I am married to Travis Poll's brother and I also lost my 36 year-old uncle (named Travis Beus to esoph cancer in 2008.) I have been following your blog for some time but haven't dared comment. I couldn't hold back this time because you mentioned others not believing animals go to heaven. I can't comprehend the theory that animals don't have souls. How could a creature, who has provided so much unconditional love & comfort in trying times, not have a soul? I don't think God would have us experience such love on earth, only to take it away in heaven. In my world, a heaven without animals would simply be called Hell.

    Losing my uncle was hard, losing T is the hardest thing we've been through thus far. I also lost my dog of 13 years in March. T wasn't a huge animal lover but he was kind to them, so I know he has given loves to my Tug since leaving us. Hopefully it will be a very long while until your "next Great Adventure," but if you remember by then, please give the Travis' a hug from us. You're going to like them both...alot! And if it's not too much to ask, please give my dog, Tug, a good belly and neck scratch for me. I'm 100% sure that Tug will be near one of our Travis' so it won't be hard to find him.

    Judy, Mandy, and the Keime's are amazing people. We credit Judy's supplements for extending T's life, and we were grateful for every additional day they provided. I hope they do the same for you and I hope to be reading about your trip to the pyramids before year's end.

    Thank you for this post! Though my faith in heaven is strong, my trust in God and Jesus has been shaky as of late. Please know that you're willingness to share your relationship with God has helped at least one.

    Angie Poll

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also am a friend of Travis and his family, his parents in particular. Thank you for your words on talking with God and listening. Listening IS the hard part. But I do believe God is VERY actively involved in our lives and will help us through our challenges as we learn to rely on him.

    Thanks for these poignant reminders.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete