If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Angels Among Us

When I was first diagnosed my daughter Heather enrolled me in a program called Chemo Angels. It’s an organization of people who send cards, notes and/or occasional small gifts to people going through chemotherapy. Patients are assigned one or two angels who communicate this way on a weekly basis. There is no obligation or even expectation that the patient respond. Since that time I’ve received hundreds of cards from dozens of angels. Each one brings a smile to my face. It’s a bit of sunshine that often arrives during a dark time. For more than a year now there’s been an angel assigned to me by the name of Chris. Chris has sent me a card faithfully at least once a week and each one contains a little bit about what’s going on in his life with his wife Tricia. He often comments about what he read in my blog. And each time he offers words of hope, encouragement and inspiration. Chris is a genuinely good person. He works with children as a guidance counselor and you can tell he is very well suited for it. He has donated more than twenty gallons of blood in his life. That takes commitment. Chris has helped me through this battle. If you’d like to sign someone up for the Chemo Angel program here’s the link. Chemo Angels Than you Chris. Thank you Angels. -------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet you have a lot of angels. Chemo angels, plus tons of real live angels from heaven.
    Soon as I get feeling a little better, I think I will sign up to be a chemo angel. What a positive thing to do for someone. Maybe it will in turn help me overcome some of this grief after all that's happened.
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete