If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Let's Try This

On Wednesday I received chemo treatment #33. We began a new regimen referred to as FOLFOX. It includes the chemo agents FOLinic acid (leucorin) Fluororuracil (5-FU) and Oxaliplatin. I am still getting Herceptin for dessert. Herceptin is the breast cancer agent that is supposed to have some effectiveness for people whose tumor tested positive for the HER2 gene. The original regimen I was on, which gave me a nice long response, called DCF consisted of Docetaxel (Taxotere), Cisplatin and Fluorouracil (5-FU). Leucovorin was used to enhance the effectiveness of the other agents. I began getting Herceptin about half way through this regimen. The regimen we just ended consisted of CPT11 (Irinotecan) and Cisplatin topped off with Herceptin. There was very little if any response from this. Notice the similarities in these cocktails. Cisplatin was used in the first two. The third includes Oxaliplatin which is another “platin” similar to Cisplatin. Leucovorin and 5-FU are both contained in the first regimen as well as this new one. Herceptin is consistent with all of them. DCF, the first regimen, is considered by most to be the standard frontline treatment. It’s response rate is 60% and thankfully I was in the 60%. I don’t know the response rate for the others but I believe they are not as good. We’ll see. Doctor George said there are several others we can try. The expected side effects from the FOLFOX regimen are the usual nausea, fatigue and weakness with a strange additional one. Some patients develop a severe sensitivity to the touch of anything cold whether it be something cold coming into contact with she skin or something cold taken orally. Taking something from the refrigerator feels like an electrical shock. Drinking something cold makes it feel like your throat is closing up. I did not experience this but they say it is a cumulative reaction so I have something to look forward to. The sensations are caused by the Oxaliplatin’s effect on the nervous system. It is the Cisplatin, the other platin I’ve been on for so long now, that causes the neuropathy, another effect on the nervous system. Gotta love those platins. The 5-FU component of this regimen is administered over a 48 hour period so I’m using the infusion pump again. Today I went back to the chemo lounge to be unhooked from the pump and get a little hydration. I got the results from the blood that was drawn and tested on Wednesday. No CEA test was done but the liver enzymes came down a hair which is good. Also my creatinine, a kidney function indicator, is back to within normal levels. That’s very good because I was concerned. Long term chemo can damage the kidney and it could be something that makes continued chemo dangerous. I’m glad to know I can have more! Carry on. -----------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Hope the chemo is going ok. Thinking about you.
    T. Hawker

    ReplyDelete