If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Team Alvey

In March I corresponded with Lindie Kuskie who was researching various treatments for her father, Larry Alvey. Larry was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer in May of last year. After battling the disease for almost a year, the chemo regimen Larry was on eventually became ineffective. Larry’s disease forced him to take an early retirement. He was a pilot for American Airlines. Larry has a very large number of friends and family members praying for him and doing whatever they can to help him through this. He and his family refer to these people as “Team Alvey”. I’m proud to be a part of the team. Larry and his wife Marilee have the strongest faith I have ever witnessed. I read their blog, which they maintain jointly, and through it they have taught me much. They have reinforced my faith. Like mine, Larry’s doctors never recommended SIR Spheres. If it had not been for Lindie’s research it most likely would never have been considered. Lindie learned of my attempt with SIRT as well as that of Richard Dickerman whose story led me to the treatment. Because of Lindie, Larry consulted with second team of doctors and, as was the case with me, the second team felt he may benefit from the procedure. It illustrates how patients have to be their own advocate and take an active role in their own care. It also shows the power of the internet which allows us to learn from other people’s struggle. Either Larry or Marilee, I don’t remember which since they both write the blog, once put it nicely by saying “It's so much better to go through struggles if you can help someone else with theirs because of yours”. Unfortunately, Larry is in the midst of the final appeal process with his insurance company to get them to approve the SIRT. Larry has asked for prayers to that end. If you are kind enough to offer prayers for him then you too can be a member of Team Alvey. Here is the link to Larry and Marilee’s blog but I think you have to register to read it and I believe that upon registering they have to grant you access to it. I’m not sure of the process because Lindie registered me. Larry and Marilee’s blog As for me I will see the Chemo Kaiser tomorrow and probably begin chemo again on Tuesday. I took it upon myself to make the appointment. I’m a little nervous about having been without systemic treatment for so long. After more than two months without it I feel rejuvenated and I think my body can tolerate more now. In August I should have a another PET scan and we’ll find out how effective the SIRT was. In the meantime blood tests may tell us something via the CEA count and hopefully they’ll show that my liver is still functioning well. Carry on. ------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Larry is now in my prayers -- both for him as a person and also that he get on the SIRT list.

    ----Aunt Jo-Ann ----

    ReplyDelete