If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Withdrawal

My energy level is up now. I have some taste buds this week. I have no nausea, no hiccups, no diarrhea and no constipation. My hair is growing back a little and my fingernails are growing back a lot. All in all I feel pretty good. As you can see I’m suffering from a severe case of chemo withdrawal. So Monday I’ll go in and get another fix. I’m making some progress with my investigation of possible candidacy for SIR spheres. The radiologist who will make the determination wants specific blood tests done so they will be done along with the regular blood test that will be done on Monday. He also wants to see a CT scan so one will be scheduled after next week’s treatment. And here I thought PET scans were better than anything and all I needed. Although I’m glad things are progressing and I feel I have to explore it I am not getting my hopes up too high about the SIR spheres. First of all I may not be a candidate. Secondly, the insurance company may not approve it. And even if those two things go well there is no guarantee it will do any good. But I have to try. Terry warned me not to drive myself crazy and ruin whatever time I have left by constantly pursuing a cure that may not exist. She referred to it as “chasing” this thing. She’s right. There has to be a balance between constantly fighting and enjoying whatever time I have left. But she’s wrong about something. I’m not chasing this thing. I’m running from it. Carry on. --------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that balance thing between enjoying life and running from the cancer is easier said than done. I have always felt like we were chasing T's cancer...with a knife. Ug. Hang in there! Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete