If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

SOME SOBERING FACTS

I have esophageal cancer. Specifically I have Stage IV adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction. Sounds pretty serious doesn’t it? It is. Stage IV is as bad as a cancer gets. It means it has already metastasized (spread). There is no known cure for adenocarcinoma. The statistics I have been able to gather are bleak. Both the mean and the median survival time is approximately 1 year. The 5 year survival rate is only 3 percent. Three percent. That’s 3 people out of 100. I don’t believe that it is proper to pray for one’s self but I know there are a lot of people doing it for me. Here’s what I like people to pray for. Don’t ask God to make me one of those three people. That would be taking a spot from someone else. Instead, ask God to make me the guy who improves the statistics to 4 out of 100. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my dad was diagnosed with the same cancer in September of 08 and since then he has started treatments and has been doing very good. Except for today when we got the results back from the 2nd scan and it has now spread to his lungs. I feel helpless and I guess my question is how long do you honestly thing we have?

    ReplyDelete