If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SOME GOOD NEWS

Here it is more than 4 months since my diagnosis and more than 3 months since beginning treatments. I have had 7 cycles of chemotherapy. Earlier this month I had the first PET scan since beginning treatment. It was compared to the scan done just before the treatments. The treatments are working well for now. The cancer can no longer be detected in the esophagus or the lymph nodes. The tumor in my lung has shrunk in size from 3.5cm to 2.0cm. It had a standardized uptake value (SUV) of 3.2 compared to 10.7 on the previous scan. The SUV is a measurement of how much of the radioactive dye is absorbed. Less is better. On the first scan, the radiologist reported that nearly the entire liver was involved with metastatic disease. SUV measured up to 16.0. On the report for the most recent scan the radiologist reported that there is disease remaining but there has been “dramatic interval improvement” . SUV only measured up to 6.6. So it was a very good result. There was improvement every place that cancer had previously been detected. It has not appeared anywhere else. That’s the best result we could ask for at this point. My cancer is not gone. It probably never will be. But for now it is under control and the longer we can keep it under control the longer I will live. My doctor often talks about “quality of life” which you really don’t want to hear because it actually means enjoy life while you can, you don’t have much left. But she’s right. Quality of life is important and right now mine is great thanks primarily to my wife but also to all of my family and friends. So we carry on.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jerry,
    I'm a friend of Heather's from when we were just little kids. Her Myspace blog led me here. I just want you to know that I am praying for you - for strength of physical healing, emotional strength, and an increase in faith and hope. I was very moved by your blog ... especially your visit from an angel - I too believe in miracles and look for them everyday! Take care and know that God IS holding you in the palm of His hand - always has been and always will!
    Prayers in Christ,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Mark Richardson's sister. I'll be putting a link to your site on Mom's blog. I'm glad you found Mark's story - his fight with cancer has been and is incredible, and I see him as an amazing -and real -inspiration. I remember reading those statistics 4 years ago and thinking all was lost... I now believe in miracles and the power of human spirit, too. Know you are not alone in this battle.
    Sincerely,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerrrrskiiiii
    I found your blog and even though I talk to you all the time, I figure I would write you a lil note. Me,Dan and the kids pray for you all the time. I know you will get through this and your not alone, Me & my family are here for you and Terrrrr. I love the "Angels". We love you!!!
    FYI - don't ruin the trust factor! Oscar told me that. We are seeing here to here( I am making the hand/eye movements right now.
    Luv ya Jerrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Uncle Jerry,
    I just wanted you to know that I think of you all the time esp this time of year remembering your birthday and the many Thanksgivings we spent at your house. I pray for you and your family.
    Love you always, xo Jodi

    ReplyDelete