If you are reading this for the first time and want to hear the whole story, look under "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right. Read the oldest blog first, starting with "The Diagnosis" in January 2009 (click on it) and continuing down. The blog you see below is the most recent and you want to read it last.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

HEROES AND WARRIORS

I recently received an email from a lady who has been reading my blog. Her name is Rolinda. She told me that her father died from esophageal cancer on Sept. 12, 2008. She said she feels a bond to anyone who is fighting this disease. Two things struck me about what Rolinda said. First the bond that she feels. It shows you how cancer affects loved ones. They fight the battle along side their loved one but the enemy is the disease. And that enemy doesn’t go away when their personal battle is over. Rolinda recognizes that there are many more soldiers left fighting. Secondly, it struck me that Rolinda’s father’s battle ended right about the time that mine began. In fact it was on the very day I was getting the telltale CAT scan. When I read that part of Rolinda’s email it felt like a passing of the torch. So I am now determined to fight this battle in the memory and honor of Rolinda’s father, Richard Martin. Every warrior needs encouragement and inspiration. Much of mine comes from Mark Richardson. Mark was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2005. His was the same type as mine, adenocarcinoma, and he was also at stage IV. He was given 3 months to live. Mark has fought this battle hard and has been very successful. Take a look at the two pictures at this link: Mark’s pictures The 2005 picture was taken while was undergoing treatment, shortly after being diagnosed. The 2009 picture was taken recently. The difference is stunning. Needless to say Mark has defied the odds and far outlived the prognosis he was given. Mark is not cured. There is no cure for this disease we share. But if I can be doing as well as Mark 4 years from now I’ll be very grateful. Mark’s mother Betty has blogged his entire story. You can find it through the link on the right side of this page. Richard and Mark are heroes of inspiration to me. Rolinda and Betty are fellow warriors, fighting this battle by bringing their heroes’ stories to people like me who benefit so much from it. Carry on Mark. Carry on Betty. Carry on Rolinda. Rest in peace Richard. ----------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. I'm Stephanie, Mark Richardson's sister. Thank you for mentioning him here in such a kind and admiring way. He's my hero, too, as is my mom. Four years ago I rememeber hearing he had three months and my students tried to comfort me by saying there could always be a miracle... I never envisioned that we'd still be lucky enough to have Mark around (and occasionally snorkeling, travleling, and starring in movies) and keeping us all in awe. Thank you for your blog - it's incredible to read your story in your own words...I have you in my thoughts and prayers, now.

    ReplyDelete